In the Heart of the Midlands
Welcome to South Derbyshire where the motto ‘The Earth, Our Wealth’ has wound its way through our heritage, creating a rich tapestry of history and landscapes for you to discover.
Rooted at the heart of the National Forest, Britain’s boldest environmental project, our story has strong links to an industrial past and a future jam-packed with unusual places to visit, woodland exploration, and exciting events.
- Delight in the faded wonder of a fascinating country house and gardens, restored by the National Trust to tell the story of its decline
- Explore the nature-rich environment, shops and restaurants of Europe’s largest inland marina at Willington
- See examples of the famous bottle shaped kilns that once fired the pottery industry supplying bricks, pots and pipes to the world
- Take a journey on the country’s first long-distance canal and immerse yourself in nature’s splendour from a unique perspective
- Have fun with a toboggan session at the snowsports centre, play golf, conquer the indoor climbing walls at the Apex, browse a garden centre or try your hand at archery
- Discover Britain’s most complete, surviving example of a canal port village from the 18th century
- And if there is still time to spare, our events ensure there is something for everyone to enjoy
Or you could while away the hours walking or cycling, taking in the beauty of the gently rolling countryside that changes with every season. You could even plant a tree as a reminder of your holiday and help us to build our collective green future!
Whether you’re planning a family holiday, a break-away for two, or a day visit, your time will be filled with things to see and do, accompanied by delicious, tasty treats and, if you stay over, accommodation to suit your style.