Former capital of the Anglo Saxon Kingdom of Mercia
Repton, former capital of the Anglo Saxon ‘Kingdom of Mercia’, is today a fusion of village and public school. Steeped in history this South Derbyshire village has one principal street, lined with a number of handsome Georgian houses and cottages. The Medieval cross on its imposing octagonal steps serves as a focal point on the road junction at the north end.
St Wystan’s Church is of national importance – under the east end is an Anglo Saxon crypt from the 8th and 9th Centuries, which once held the bones of St. Wystan and was a place of pilgrimage. With its spiral decorated columns and vaulted roof, the crypt is one of England’s most precious survivals of Anglo Saxon architecture. To the east of the church are the remains of Repton Priory, an Augustinian house founded in 1172. Its precinct wall and the arch of its 13th Century gatehouse are still important features of the village. After the dissolution of the Monasteries, part of the priory buildings became the home of Repton School which was founded in 1557. Another part became Repton Hall, which is now also part of the School.
After a busy day spent exploring the village enjoy the excellent local gastropubs which always offer a warm welcome. And for lovers of real ale, The Boot has its own micro brewery onsite, which is a definite entry on the ‘to do’ list – they even have beautifully appointed rooms, if you feel like staying over!
Nearby places to visit also include Mercia Marina – Europe’s largest inland water marina, National Trust Calke Abbey, Anchor Church and Foremark Reservoir.