A tranquil South Derbyshire village about 8 miles west of Derby, Findern has a traditional village green (originally with a duck pond) overlooked by All Saints Parish Church.
Silk weaving was once a widespread cottage industry in the village, the work being ‘let out’ from the factories in Derby and Belper. Jedediah Strutt, who set up the great mills at Belper, was originally apprenticed to a Findern blacksmith.
All Saints Parish Church possesses the oldest parish communion plate in the UK and a carved semicircular stone (tympanum), discovered when the previous Norman Church was demolished in 1862, is preserved in the present building.
Purported to be the only village in the UK where the Findern Flower is to be found – and only in particular areas, the flower has become an emblem of the village and is represented in many guises.