Willington is situated to the north of Repton between the River Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal, with its own village green, and boasting plenty of great places for eating out.
The bridge over the river was built in 1836 and was one of the last main road toll bridges in England. It was not made free of charge until 1898.
The canal had a dramatic impact on the growth of the village and this led to the development of a small inland port. The arrival of the railways in the 1800s meant a gradual decline in the use of canals for transport and industry and today the canal is now a valuable habitat for wildlife and attracts visitors with leisure moorings for canal boats and a well used towpath.
A settlement from the Beaker period was excavated in gravel beds by the River Trent and St Michael’s Church dates from the 12th Century. The church was heavily restored in the early part of the 19th Century, when a north transept was added. It contains a richly decorative 18th Century font. The church tower was added in 1824. Today the church is a Grade II listed building with Historic England.
Nearby, Mercia Marina was created from the pre-existing Willington Lake and is accessed by boaters from the Trent and Mersey Canal. Set within 74 acres of landscaped grounds it is the largest inland marina in the UK and one of the largest in Europe, with a thriving community of resident and visiting boaters.
The marina is home to a number of excellent restaurants and tea rooms, bespoke shops and a chandlery, with a regular calendar of events.
Willington Willington Derbyshire
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.